One thing that comes to my mind when an iPod is released to the market by Apple, “What DAC IC does it use?”. Since, naturally iPod is a music player integrated with other functions, so the most important part is the audio. Then I start doing small research to analyze what DAC IC this new lineup of iPod use. Check this out!
Above picture is the image of the audio chip used in iPod Touch 5th Generation. The body marking printed on the IC is APPLE 338S1077. What kind of DAC IC is this APPLE 338S1077? Which manufacturer produce this IC? Is it Cirrus Logic or Wolfson? Then, How about it audio quality produced by that IC? Let discuss it.. 🙂
The Apple 338S1077 is an Audio CODEC / DAC IC found in the Apple iPhone 5 and iPod 5th Gen model. It has die markings Cirrus (Logic) CS35L19. The 338S1077 is a high efficiency hybrid class D audio amplifier with low idle current consumption for mobile phones, laptops, tablets, and portable navigation and gaming devices. Thus, one question is solved, the iPod Touch 5th Gen uses Cirrus Logic DAC IC.
Taken from the website of Cirrus Logic, CS35L19 is a family of low-power digital audio amplifiers with Cirrus Logic’s proprietary Hybrid Class-D Architecture, designed specifically for today’s mobile applications. Combining the benefits of both linear and switching amplifier technologies, its Hybrid Class-D architecture offers best-in-class idle power consumption and low radiated emission while maintaining high output power efficiency and superior audio quality.
Hybrid Class-D Architecture
- 1 x 2.9 W into 4 Ω (10% THD+N)
- 1 x 2.3 W into 4 Ω (1% THD+N)
- 1 x 1.7 W into 8 Ω (10% THD+N)
- 1 x 1.4 W into 8 Ω (1% THD+N)
Ultra-low Power Consumption
- <1 mA Quiescent Current
Advanced ΔΣ Closed-loop Modulation
- 97 dB Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted)
- 0.02% THD+N @ 1 W (SD & HD Mode)
- -85 dB Power Supply Rejection Ratio @ 217Hz
- -70 dB Common Mode Rejection Ratio
- Integrated Protection and Automatic Recovery for Output Short-circuit and Thermal Overload
- Pop and Click Suppression
Available in Low-profile 10-pin DFN or 9-ball WLCSP
- CS35L00: +6 dB or +12dB Selectable Gain
- CS35L01: +6 dB default Gain
- CS35L03: +12 dB default Gain